Sunday, September 29, 2013

Simmons Lrf600 Laser Rangefinder


excellent for price
This rangefinder is my first and although I do not have anything to compare it with, it is pretty amazing.
I am not a hunter, and only bought this range finder because of the price, which I will get to later.
I live in Hershey PA and the Cabela's in Reading PA is a place I routinely meet my brother when we drop off each others kids to stay with each others family when they have school breaks, as was the case this past Thanksgiving.
As me and the kids waited for my routinely late brother, we walked through the store to see if there was anything we could spend a $25.00 gift card my wife won at a local casino. My sport of choice is Golf, and Caleba's does not have much of a selection on golf equipment. (they have nothing!)
While passing the hunting section I noticed the Optical section and saw the Simmons LRF 600 was on sale for $99.00 with a mail in rebate. After testing it out in the store, I figured what the heck, if it could pick up deer from 200 yds as it stated,...
Great value
I tried out several different ones at Gander mountain side by side. The all read the same distance to the same points across the store to the farthers which was 55 yards. None seemed to penetrate the glass at the front of the store as you could not read distance to the building across the parking lot. This one was as good as most and easier to see the readout than several. I bought it for $99, when the others were multiple times this price, one for $800. Now that would just be a waste of hard earned money to me. I will use it for all manner of hunting, and its compact size and easy quick use will be just what I need.

As an update, I used this throughout the hunting season and it was amazing. Thanks to this I knew where I could and could not take a shot, and it was in no small part responsible for me successfully bagging two deer.
Good, but laser accurate only close to the pin
I bought this rangefinder to use while playing golf. So, my review is based entirely on my experiences on the course using this rangefinder.

Since this is a ranging product, let me illustrate how reliable I've found this product's measurement is at various ranges:

1. 300 yards + : Completely unreliable. Can't use this even if your hands have the stability of a brain surgeon. If you do get a reading, it's usually incorrect nine times out of ten. The flag is simply too small a target for the accuracy limit (least count) of this rangefinder.

2. 200-300 yards : Somewhat reliable. It usually ends up getting you the distance of the trees/shrubs behind the pin, so you have to take several readings. The only time I've completely trusted its reading at this range was when I aimed at one of the members of the group ahead of me on the green - I could then corroborate that the reading was right based on the markers around me.

3. 100-200 yards: Very...
Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment