Sunday, September 29, 2013

BARSKA Biometric Safe


Techno savvy teens CAN open this safe!
I recently received this biometric safe from Amazon. I ordered it on 8/15/10 and received it on 8/21/10 via fed-ex ground. The outer box was crushed on top but the safe was in perfect condition thanks to some very good packaging. Any past packaging/shipping problems have been fixed.

I ordered this safe because I wanted quick access to a weapon in a part of my home that is far removed from my gun collection. I decided I can open a biometric safe when my heart is racing much faster than I can a combination lock. I have two teenage children who I do want to have access to the weapon. Shortly after installing the safe and registering my fingerprints and my wife's fingerprints (We did several angles of our right index fingers per others suggestions), my 15 year old son WAS ABLE TO OPEN THE SAFE in 10 seconds using a trick he learned on the "Myth Busters" television show. I quickly learned that you MUST wipe the glass clean after each use or techno savvy teens CAN open this...
As advertised
This is the only way I could think of to have quick access to a gun but keep it totally safe from kids. The safe has NEVER opened for anyone who has tried it without thier prints programed in it. The only times it has failed to open for me is if my finger is at quite an angle to the reader or not in very far, its not picky but you can also program it with your fingers at angles to avoid any problem. My only complaint would be that I wish there was a way to not have the loud beeper go off as you open it, kinda defeats the stealth effect.
INSTRUCTIONS ARE DANGEROUSLY FLAWED!
I'm giving this product one star only because I want to point out the dangerous flaw in the instructions to all buyers and potential buyers. Aside from this flaw in the instructions (not with the product itself) I find the product to be excellent - so please interpret this review accordingly. My one-star rating is a warning to users and not a judgement on the product itself.

I received the product this week and followed the set up process step by step as described in the user manual (dated 2008). I scanned each of my fingerprints and was happy to find that each would successfully open the safe. I stashed my loaded revolver and ammunition in the safe and locked the door, thinking all was secure. Two days later out of curiosity I had my 9-year-old daughter try to open the safe. She successfully did. With every finger! I then asked my 6-year-old son to try. Same thing. My loaded, ready-to-fire weapon and ammunition were completely unsecured. Imagine my horror! I...
Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment